1613 Samuel de Champlain the explorer set course up the Ottawa River.
1686 French military expedition led by Chevalier de Troyes en route to capture English fur trading post hailed ashore by Indians at the mouth of the Petawawa River.
1763 Concept of the Township of Petawawa serving as basis for land occupancy was established in British North America.
1823 Trading posts established at Fort William across Ottawa River from CFB Petawawa.
1840 Uniting townships of Alice, Petawawa, Bucanan Rolph & Wylie introduced.
1846 James McGregor first settler in Petawawa Township.
1850 Occupancy of Renfrew County was 6,892 non-permanent class workers employed in lumbering.
1853 Construction of Mattawa Rd began and completed in 1861.
1856 Land route opened for settlers via construction of Pembroke and Mattawan Roads.
1857 Robert Hamilton completed Petawawa Township's first survey at Petawawa Point.
1859 Petawawa Post Office opened May 01; Master James Young appointed Post Master.
1861 298 people living in Petawawa Township.
1864 Township of Petawawa separates from Township of Rolph, Buchanan, Wylie and McKay and called the Municipality of Petawawa.
1865 First council (by acclimation) for Township of Petawawa: Reeve John Mitchel, Councilors John Rowan, James McGregor, Patrich Higgins & Jonathan Phillips; Clerk Charles Young. (Clerk paid $30.00/yr).
1866 First election of Council Petawawa Township, 180 people voted. Elected James McGregor Reeve, Councilors: John Rowan, David McLennan, Patrick Higgins & Jonathan Phillips. Clerk Charles Young.
1867 Mount Zion United Church opens.
1870 Site for Petawawa Township surveyed, situated at what is now referred to as Petawawa Point.
1875 St John’s Lutheran’s first log church is built.
1880 St Matthew’s Lutheran Church built.
1880 Railway comes to area.
1885 Gustave Hampel one of the first Germans to settle in Petawawa Township.
1888 All Saints Anglican Church built.
1895 SS#4 Petawawa school built.
1897 St John Lutheran brick church built, old log church was turned into a school.
1899 Notre Dame de la Baie Catholic Church built at Black Bay.
1900 First bridge built to serve area north west of Petawawa River.
1905 Development of Camp Petawawa.
1905 Test flight at Camp Petawawa, J.A.D. McCurdy Silver Dart. F.W. Baldwin, Dr. Alexander Bell and Wright Brothers also present.
1910 Giesebrecht's one of the first settlers in the Village of Petawawa, later owned and still today operates Pepsi (soft drink) plant.
1914 1914-1916 Camp Petawawa used as prisoner of war camp for 750 German Merchant Seamen and Austrian’s.
1934 Petawawa bridge built.
1935 Once again Camp Petawawa used as Prisoner of War Camp.
1939 Roman Catholic Church builds St Lukes school.
1939 Electricity introduced to Petawawa Township.
1940 At peak of WWII 20,000 Troops were being trained at Camp Petawawa.
1951 Camp Petawawa becomes permanent base.
1952 Roman Catholic stone church built and dedicated as Our Lady of Sorrows.
1999 Silver Dart arena & Base HQ torn down, time capsule found in corner stone.
2000 Millennium project trail built; Expansion to trail up Laurention Drive.
2003 Town election Bob Sweet remains on as Mayor.
2004 Mayor of Petawawa becomes Reeve of Renfrew County.
2005 100th Anniversary of CFB Petawawa, Time capsule placed in tank by Petawawa Heritage Society, Heritage Society open room in Base Museum to tell history of town prior to the Base coming. Heritage Village broke ground. Our Lady of Sorrows opens new school.
2006 Town expanding, new subdivision springs up behind Moncions Grocery store, another off Murphy Rd and new street is cleared between Laurention Dr and Petawawa Blvd above Renfrew Street. Base expanding with 700 more military families arriving.
2007 Town announces new medical clinic. Petawawa Heritage Society opens first historical building at the Heritage Village site. Mayor finishes term of Reeve for Renfrew County.
2008 New Medical Center opens on Civic Center Rd. Dianne Groehl (Leder) former family who owned Crown Land property Center is built on. Troops prepare for fall rotation to Afghanistan. Giesebrecht’s celebrate 70 years as distributors of Pepsi in Petawawa. Canada Day Shaw’s Lumber Co. launches replica of vintage sq. timber log raft on Ottawa River complete with kitchen shanty.
2009 Council announces two new schools for Petawawa, Council announces new 350,00 sq ft commercial development, CFB Petawawa announces the base won competition as the site for the Chinooks. Petawawa reaches a population of 15, 500. New Ambulance Base Station opens on Civic Center Rd. New Quality Inn opens. Petawawa’s newest street “Leder Lane” Petawawa Heritage Village continues to grow with 2 more log buildings (Leder Homestead & Trapper Cabin).
2010 Local environmental group try to stop council from clear cutting all the historical white pine. New manager for parks and recreation, Kelly Williams, arrives. Renfrew County announces 150th Anniversary Celebration.
2011 Renfrew County Celebrates 150th Anniversary at Pembroke Airport in the Town of Petawawa. Construction begins on new schools. One Catholic School Grade JK – grade 7 and one Public School JK- Grade 12. Both schools to be located on town property off Civic Center Rd.